Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Running It Out

"The 2007 Ford Ironman Florida Panama City Beach Sold Out to General Entry November 5, 2006 , in less than one hour."

Oh well, there's always hope for 2008. NOT, I made it, thankfully my buddy and training partner, Robert Palmer, kept me in the loop as to how quickly it sells out. We were both frantically rushing to register and both experienced issues with the registration web site, but we made it with only a few minutes to spare. At almost $500.00, you'd think it would take longer. So, 363 days of training to push the envelope, 2.4 mile Swim, 112 mile Bike and 26.2 mile Run. You should have no problem coming up with something to pray for, as I'll take all I can get for health and preparation.

As many of you know, last year was my first endeavor with Triathlon, which was the result of being bored on a treadmill and encouragement from friends. Once I got involved, it sparked memories of my youth and competition, sorry Charles. However, I find that the competition is with myself and experiencing just how far I can push myself, without breaking, which I did.

Last year I had one goal beginning my training on January 1st, complete the Red Hills Sprint Triathlon here in Tallahassee, which I did and was captured by the sport and the camaraderie. So, what to do with all of that training and fitness, do more. By September 2006, I had competed and finished in four Sprint Triathlons and one Olympic distance, the last three with Achilles tendinitis, plantar fasciitis and bone spurs on the back of both heels.

I've spent the last three months rehabbing and therapy,(physical) and I have slowly brought my running back into training and plan on running the Turkey Trot 5k on Thanksgiving with a large family contingency.

If you've made it this far, I'm closing this entry with some food for thought. When Taylar and I went to Panama City a couple of weeks ago for the 2006 Florida Ironman, I observed hundreds of friends and family members supporting their loved ones and many adorned color coordinated team wear. In May when racing the Emerald Coast Sprint, I ran through the transition area for the run portion and they had an announcer calling out your name and where you're from, well, this funny fellow referred to me as Mr. Big Stuff, and I supposed not because I'm studly, more like the double stuffing in an Oreo cookie. Well, it kind of stuck with me and even though I'm a double stuffed Oreo,(I'm continuing to strive for a normal stuffing) I'm still out there getting it done. Even though I'm not first, I'm at least in the middle of the pack. So, I'm considering going into the 2007 season as Team Big Stuff, let me know what ya think? Or, Team Heatwave, Team Knight, Team Joy,(Jesus, Others, You), Team Rusty Boy, Knuckle Head....

Okay, here's my 2007 schedule, so you can send specific prayers. My training has been cut in half for the off season, but I'll turn it up January 1st and will also be working with Taylar for his 2007 season.







March - 1/3 mile Swim, 16 mile Bike, 3.2 mile Run






May - 1.2 mile Swim, 56 mile Bike, 13.1 mile Run







August - .9 mile Swim, 25 mile Bike, 6.2 mile Run




November 3, 2007 @ 7:00AM

2.4 mile Swim,112 mile Bike,26.2 mile Run

So, until next time, May The Lord bless you and Keep you; The Lord make His face shine upon you and be gracious to you; The Lord turn His face toward you and give you peace.

3 Comments:

At 1:28 PM, Blogger CMD said...

just reading this made me short of breath!

actually, i thought about doing the thanksgiving day thing--and mine would have been more like a trot than yours--but i'm volunteering at cafe ole that morning...have fun and happy turkey day!!!

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger Bob Freeman said...

Way to go "Red Stuff" or was that "Big Stuff", but "Big" is so relative! Next to me ("Boxcar") you aren't so big but people my size (300#) probably don't appear too often in Triathlons, that is unless they have a senior "Boxcar" category that finishes after everyone else has gone home.

It's a challenging schedule but one I'm confident that you, with all our prayers, can conquer.

 
At 7:02 PM, Blogger Run4Kat said...

Hey Cuz, it was so great seeing you and the family on Turkey Day! I'm so proud of you and all that you have accomplished so far in your life and now with the Triathlons. It's not easy keeping up an obsession and your family at the same time....believe me I know! But at least it's a "healthy" obsession....you're not out smoking and drinking every night! I've got the Disney Half marathon coming up in January and then the Ft. Lauderdale A1A Full Marathon in February. Keep us posted on your training and progress!

Love Ya lot's
Kat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home